Condo Fires & Fire SafetyBack to homepage
We’ve been posting stories about fires in condominiums for a number of years now. The main reason why we pay so much attention to condo fires, as opposed to home fires in HOA’s, is that a fire that starts in a condo unit, usually takes out many more units before it’s put out. As a result, CAN is very in favor of association’s being pro-active in fire prevention.
- Fire displaces families in St. Pete (FL) April 30, 2017 A condo fire in St. Petersburg displaced several residents Saturday afternoon after it likely spread from the kitchen of one of the units. The fire tore through eight units of a building at the Peppertree Village Condos on MLK Street North. Several units also had water damage from firefighters attempts to extinguish the fire. Firefighters believe the fire originated from a pot left on the stove in one of the upstairs units, yet the exact cause remains under investigation. Smoke ...
- Westminster firefighters rescue person from balcony of burning condo (CO) April 25, 2017 Firefighters rescued a person from the balcony of a condominium that caught fire on Monday, the Westminster Fire Department said. The fire broke out about 3:30 p.m. in the 12100 block of Melody Drive. The fire started in the kitchen of a second-floor unit and firefighters used a ladder to rescue a resident in an adjacent unit who couldn’t get out because of the smoke. That person was not injured. Read the article………….
- Smoldering BBQ coals ignite flames at Reseda condo: 7 homeless (CA) April 24, 2017 Smoldering barbecue coals ignited flames at a Reseda condo Sunday, and firefighters needed 14 minutes to knock down the blaze, according to the Los Angeles Fire Department. Seven people were forced out of the condo and were temporarily homeless. Read the article…………..
- Fire marshal investigating fire at Bloomfield condo complex (CT) April 20, 2017 The state and local fire marshals are investigating a fire at a condominium complex on Wintonbury Place in Bloomfield Thursday morning. Blue Hills Fire Chief Robert Farmer said the fire broke out just after 5:30 a.m. when they got a call of smoke coming inside an apartment. Read the article…………..
- 2 injured in Winter Park condo fire (FL) April 18, 2017 Two people were treated for smoke inhalation after a fire broke out Tuesday at a Winter Park condominium complex. The fire broke out on the backside of a second story unit at The Gallery, which is off Aloma Avenue near the Mayflower retirement community. Read the article…………
- Large fire damages Whistler condo complex (BC) April 16, 2017 Flames ripped through the roof of a condo building in Whistler Saturday night, displacing several people in the process. The fire broke out around 11 p.m. in building A of the Northstar townhouse complex. The three-storey building suffered fire damage on the upper floor, and units on the lower floors were damaged by smoke and water. Read the article…………
- Las Vegas firefighters rescue man from burning condo (NV) April 15, 2017 Las Vegas firefighters rescued a man from a burning condominium late Friday evening. One other occupant escaped through a rear bedroom window. Fire dispatchers received a 911 call at 11:40 p.m. Friday that a condo was filling with smoke in a condo building on Decker Canyon Drive, near Vegas Drive and Cimarron Road but the occupants were not sure where the smoke was coming from. They said they also heard people screaming outside there was a fire and someone was ...
- People in 10 condos displaced after fire (MO) April 11, 2017 Residents from 10 condos may be looking for a new place to live after a fire in St. Charles County Monday afternoon. Cottleville firefighters responded to the Meadow Ridge condos and found flames shooting through the roof of a third story condo. Read the article………….
- Fire damages condo at Eastpoint Condominiums (MS) April 7, 2017 Firefighters have brought a blaze under control at the Eastpoint Condominiums on Lake Barnett Drive, off North Shore Parkway. Read the article………….
- One dies, three injured in Montgomery condo fire (MD) April 3, 2017 One person died and three others were injured in a fire at a townhouse condominium development in Montgomery County, officials said. Read the article………….
- Two injured in Sterling Heights afternoon condo fire (MI) March 31, 2017 Two people were injured, including an elderly resident who had to be carried out of his unit by Sterling Heights firefighters, during a blaze that broke out at the Plumcreek Condominiums on Friday afternoon. The elderly man, 80, was bed ridden but emergency personnel got to him before he sustained any major injuries, Fire Chief Chris Martin said. A second man was hospitalized with burns, he added. Read the article………….
- Crews investigate condo fire in Hamden (CT) March 31, 2017 Crews in Hamden are trying to figure out what sparked up a condo fire. The Hamden Fire Department responded to 154 Towne House Road Thursday night on report of a condominium unit up in flames. Read the article…………..
- Two people injured in Myrtle Beach condo fire (SC) March 27, 2017 Firefighters in Myrtle Beach worked to put out a structure fire at 4106 Fairway Lakes early Monday morning. The fire happened around 6 a.m. at a condo complex. Two people were transported to the hospital and one person suffers from slight burns. Read the article………….
- Fire Crews Tackle Blaze In Shelton Condo (CT) March 27, 2017 Firefighters doused a blaze in a four-unit condominium building in Shelton on Monday morning, according to the Connecticut Post. A heavy fire was reported coming from a second-floor window above a garage at 6 Acorn Hollow in the Tamarack Ridge complex at 5 a.m., the Post said. Read the article…………..
- Lightning Strike Causes Fire At Branson At The Meadows (MO) March 27, 2017 Lightning caused a fire that forced people in 40 units at Wyndham at The Meadows in Branson to evacuate early Monday morning. Branson Fire Chief Ted Martin tells KTTS News the fire broke out around 12:45 a.m. when lightning blew the roof off an elevator shaft, then caught the roof line on fire. Read the article………….
- Plainville condo destroyed by fire (CT) March 25, 2017 A woman was rescued after her condo caught on fire in Plainville on Friday. The Plainville Fire Chief tells News 8 the police department arrived first and helped get a woman out of the house. They say she was conscious and taken to the hospital. Fire officials say before they even got to the scene, they knew it was a big fire. Read the article………….
- Condo Fire Has Residents Evacuated in Mississauga March 22, 2017 Multiple residents were forced to evacuate their units after a major blaze broke out at a Mississauga apartment building. In the early hours of Wednesday, March 22, a fire started inside an eleventh floor apartment unit in a residential highrise on Ponytrail Drive at the corner of Rathburn Read the article…………..
- Families displaced after fire destroys condo units (MI) March 22, 2017 Three departments were called to a chimney fire at a condo complex near Schuss Mountain in Antrim County. The fire crews got the call about 1 o’clock Wednesday morning. Read the article……………
- One person dead in North Seattle condo fire (WA) March 21, 2017 An elderly woman was killed in a condo fire Tuesday morning in Seattle’s Wedgwood neighborhood. It happened around 2:30 a.m.when crews responded to a suspicious odor call. Read the article……………
- Private condo at Boyne Mountain goes up in flames (MI) March 20, 2017 Firefighters are still investigating a fire that broke out in a private condo at Boyne Mountain Sunday morning. The Boyne Valley Fire Chief says when they arrived to the Creekside condo around 4:30 a.m., the condo was completely filled with smoke and flames were in the roof. Read the article…………..