International News/ArticlesBack to homepage
International Condo & HOA News
- Singapore: 33 proposed amendments to Act governing condos February 19, 2017 The stage is set for a showdown between managing agents and residents at strata-titled properties such as condominiums over a proposed legislative amendment. The tweak would allow condo managing agents to do away with a mandatory annual review of their appointments. Read the article……….
- Singapore: Condos turn to by-laws as Govt mulls over rules on short-term home rentals February 8, 2017 Unhappy with the sheer volume of tourists rotating through their condominium for short stays, the management committee of The Sail@Marina Bay decided to take things into their own hands, and last year passed a by-law to compel residents to present their tenancy agreements upon request. A bouncer was even deployed to deal with aggressive and uncooperative residents, in a precautionary move taken by its Management Corporation Strata Title (MCST). Read the article………….
- Singapore: No increase in complaints against strata management bodies February 7, 2017 The BCA receives around 30 complaints per year regarding the services rendered by managing agents of MCSTs. Singapore’s Building and Construction Authority (BCA) typically receives 30 complaints or feedback per year regarding the services rendered by managing agents of Management Corporation Strata Title (MCSTs). “This number has been consistent over the last five years,” said National Development Minister Lawrence Wong, in response to a parliamentary query on Monday (6 February) from Zainal Sapari, MP for Pasir Ris-Punggol GRC, on whether ...
- Turks and Caicos Islands: Villas and Condos Avoiding Taxes February 6, 2017 Owners of villas, condominiums and some private homes in Turks and Caicos Islands are making significant sums of money from renting their properties, but many of them are not paying accommodation taxes to Government. The practice has been ongoing for many years and has grown in popularity. Now the Turks and Caicos Hotel and Tourism Association and TCI Chamber of Commerce Chamber are speaking out against it. Read the article………….
- Singapore: BCA launches final public consultation on rules for strata properties February 1, 2017 After a review lasting close to five years, changes to the Building Maintenance and Strata Management Act (BMSMA) — which will, among other things, tighten the use of proxies at annual general meetings of strata-titled properties to obtain management control — are yet to be finalised. Read the article…………..
- Malaysia: MACC nabs condo management execs in RM1.5mil misappropriation case January 31, 2017 KUALA LUMPUR: A former secretary and an accountant of a Joint Management Body (JMB) of a condominium here were on Tuesday detained by the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) on suspicion of misappropriating RM1.5mil. The suspects, aged 53 and 27 years, are believed to have carried out the misappropriation since 2010. According to a source, the misdeed was uncovered when the salaries of the staff of the JMB company, which maintained more than 500 condominium units, were unpaid from June 2016. ...
- Japan: 11 hospitalized after predawn fire erupts in Tokyo condo high-rise January 23, 2017 A fire broke out in a 26-story condominium high-rise in Tokyo’s Toshima Ward early Tuesday morning and 11 people were sent to the hospital, including a woman who is unconscious and in critical condition. According to the Tokyo Fire Department, which received a call around 4:25 a.m., the fire started in a second-floor unit and burned about 40 sq. meters of the room. Read the article………..
International Condo & HOA Articles
- Japanese Condominium Bans Greetings Within the Condominium Property December 15, 2016 It was recently reported that a Japanese condominium has implemented a rule that prohibits residents from greeting each other while on the condominium property. This rule was adopted out of concern for the safety of elementary school-age children living in the condominium. As parents were instructing their children to run away if they were greeted by strangers, it was decided that it would be better for all residents if everyone in the condominium complex refrained from extending greetings to each ...
- Community Democracy in Cayman Islands’ Strata Corporations June 8, 2016 A recent decision of the Grand Court may affect role of developers of strata corporations in the Cayman Islands, particularly where the strata development forms part of a larger resort complex, perhaps incorporating timeshare apartments or a hotel. Read the article…………
- Malaysia: Fostering neighbourly spirit among strata owners May 31, 2016 KUALA Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) and two other parties have joined forces to address anti-social behaviours among strata communities and teach residents their rights under the new Strata Management Act. Read the article…………….
- A Quick Guide to the New Abu Dhabi Strata Law May 1, 2016 For those in the real estate industry, the easiest way to understand the new Abu Dhabi strata law is to compare it with the already familiar Dubai strata law. The two Emirates’ laws, in most cases, reach the same place by similar means. For property developers and owners’ association managers working across both jurisdictions, the transition should be relatively easy provided they are alert to and comply with the differences. Read the article………….
- Understanding Homeowners Association Reserve Accounts (India) October 20, 2015 A significant cost, when buying a property that is part of a small common interest development, can often be the monthly or other periodic fees due to the homeowners association. A lot of homeowners mistakenly look on this money as part of their investment and while they are not entirely wrong, once the money is paid it becomes the property of the homeowners association rather than being directly linked to their property.
- South Africa: Liquidators vs Home Owners Associations: title deed conditions are binding on liquidators April 26, 2015 In two recent cases decided in the Supreme Court of Appeal (SCA), namely,Willow Waters Homeowners Association (Pty) Limited v KOKA NO and others ZASCA 221, the SCA was asked to consider: Read the articles………..
- Home ownership Rights (Philippines) March 15, 2015 MANY people living in subdivisions and villages are not aware that a law had been passed mandating the rules and regulations that have to be observed in so far as their right to organize in these subdivisions and villages is concerned. This is where the Magna Carta of Homeowners and Homeowners Associations under Republic Act No. 9904 come in.