Kansas Condominium & Homeowner Association News
- Kansas homeowners urge lawmakers to ban ‘punitive’ rooftop solar restrictions February 15, 2024Alan Bauman would put solar panels on his Prairie Village home if he could. He’d like to benefit from the savings on his energy bill and have more security when his electric utility suffers power outages. But his homeowners association restricts his and neighbors’ ability to install solar power. Read the article…………………………….
- HOA rules change plans for Paulie’s Penguin Playground new location (KS) November 22, 2023The Paulie’s Penguin Playground Christmas display will not be in someone’s front yard this year, but the long-time holiday tradition will be in Johnson County for one weekend in December. Read the article……………………………
- Solar panels at center of growing issue between HOAs, homeowners (KS) November 11, 2023Another example of a growing issue between homeowners’ associations and property owners involving solar panels pops up in a northwest Wichita neighborhood. Similar to a situation this summer in the southwest part of town, an HOA said “no” to a homeowner wanting the panels on his home. This will likely become an even bigger issue as solar becomes more popular and affordable. It’s an issue ending up in courts and state legislators across the U.S. Read the article…………………………….
- Kansas condo board says it’s being forced to pay twice for gas used during 2021 winter storm September 19, 2023The group’s complaint says it paid for the exorbitant cost of natural gas after a February 2021 winter storm. Then it switched providers and is being forced to pay again. Read the article………………………..
- Wichita couple’s solar panels could result in lien on property (KS) August 10, 2023An effort by a southwest Wichita couple to tap into renewable energy for their home could result in a lien on their property. For the past year, fines from their homeowners’ association have piled up and leaves the couple without options. Read the article………………………..
- Linn County sheriff investigating damage to gates at lakeside HOA community (KS) May 24, 2023A dispute over HOA policies escalated to a group of people cutting out gates at a private lakeside village, according to residents. Read the article………………………..
Kansas Condominium & Homeowner Association Articles
- Kansas Association Votes to Amend HOA Voting ProceduresThe Board of Directors of Forest Lakes Master Association sought to amend the HOA voting procedures set forth in the Association’s Declaration. The Board requested all members vote in person or by proxy at the meeting they called to consider the amendment. With concern that they would not get full participation, the Board also announced that if they did not get enough votes at the meeting, they would go door-to-door for 30 days following the meeting to get the required ...
- Improper Association Governing Document Amendments – How Expensive is it When You Do it Wrong? VERYNot following ALL of the required procedures when preparing amendments to your association governing documents can be VERY expensive. Take the time, money and effort to do it right. Read the article………………………..
- The Million Dollar Flower Pot FiascoNo matter how innocent or small the violation, never underestimate the possibility of it blowing up and costing both the association and owner far more money than it ever should have. Case in point: Avignon Villa Homes and Mr. Jim Hildebrand. This dispute involves a Kansas community where an owner decided to fight for his right and freedom to install various improvements without going through the required architectural approval process or following the rules in the community. Read the ...
- CAI Best Practices: EthicsSimply put, when someone is employing ethics, he or she recognizes what is right and what is wrong and is choosing to do the right thing; however, as a great deal of business ethics literature will attest, “the right thing” is not always straightforward. For example, most ethical dilemmas in the workplace are not simply questions of “Should Bob steal from Jack?” or “Should Jack lie to his boss?”
- Strategic PlanningStrategic Planning
- Reserve Studies/ManagementReserve Studies/Management
Acts Against Discrimination (Removal of certain restrictive covenants)
Kansas Condominium & Homeowner Association Resources
The Greater Kansas City area has a proud tradition of neighborhoods and a strong network of homes associations to protect that legacy. Homes Associations of Kansas City (HAKC) is an alliance of 53 homeowners associations. HAKC includes associations on both sides of State Line.