New Mexico Condo & HOA News
- Last Of The Lakes: Latest Chapter In Golf Course Saga (NM) August 20, 2023Not everyone was happy, but that’s often the case when you’re about to lose an iconic part of your neighborhood. And that’s what’s happening at The Islands at Rio Rancho, once a gorgeous respite for residents and wildlife, and a few lakes where countless golf balls were sent to a watery grave. Read the article………………………..
- Northern Meadows neighbors frustrated with HOA (NM) August 19, 2023Residents in Northern Meadows are fed up. If you live in a community with a homeowner association, you know the fees can be a hassle – but you at least expect to get some services out of it. “For the first 10, 15 years, we had no problems, but in the last 10 years, it went kaput,” said Edward Uhrich, a homeowner in the neighborhood. Read the article………………………..
- Residents organize meetings to press Northern Meadows POA (NM) July 20, 2023“Why is the homeowners association not telling the neighbors that they are under court orders?” Spetalnik said. “I would have understood, as a homeowner, if they said we are short of money and this may take some time to get to. But for them to turn around blatantly and say we don’t do that anymore … is disturbing.” Read the article………………………..
- The HOAs of Life March 6, 2023In 2015, I bought a house in Santa Fe after I could no longer afford to rent. Amid all the closing paperwork, I didn’t read the barely discernible covenants I’d signed. I was so green about homeownership that it didn’t cross my mind that I couldn’t do specific things unless I undertook them illegally. Read the article………………………..
- Veteran fights to display US flag (NM) March 2, 2023An Albuquerque man who fought for our flag, in a new fight to fly it. Jon Barrie’s homeowner’s association, fining him for having the American flag on his house. Barrie’s lawyer reached out to KOAT for help with his issue. Read the article………………………..
- Solomon Pena was belligerent to neighbors who opposed his political views, condo official says (NM) January 18, 2023A failed Republican candidate accused of hiring people to shoot at local Democratic leaders’ homes often promoted rhetoric against President Joe Biden and was belligerent to neighbors who opposed his political views, a homeowners association board member said Tuesday. Read the article………………………..
New Mexico Condo & HOA Articles
- Playing The HOA – A Continuing Study in Audacity (Part III)Mrs. Delinquent*, who owned a unit in an HOA in New Mexico, had stopped paying her mortgage and HOA dues. As a result, she was having her home foreclosed upon by a bank, and the HOA referred her file to Axela Technologies. The collection solution provided by Axela Technologies was working the file to recover the delinquent assessments from the owner in the amount of $17,000 while the bank was pursuing foreclosure on the property. Read the article……………………………..
- HOAs Must Understand Use and Power of ContractsThe board of directors in a homeowners association (HOA) is responsible for the functionality and governance of the community. One of the powers and duties delegated to the board of directors is the power to negotiate and enter into contracts, which is highly significant to the operation and bylaws of an HOA. Read the article………………………..
- Navigating New HUD Assistance Animals GuidelinesOn January 28, 2020 the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (“HUD”) issued new guidelines regarding “certain obligations of housing providers under the Fair Housing Act (“FHA”) with respect to animals that individuals with disabilities may request as reasonable accommodations.” A copy of the new guidelines may be found at https://www.hud.gov/sites/dfiles/PA/documents/HUDAsstAnimalNC1-28-2020.pdf Read the article…………………………
- Inspection Rights of Unit Owners are NOT EndlessDisgruntled unit owners love to review their association documents and then demand every document that they think they might be entitled to. In this case, the court made clear that reasonableness and discretion will play some part in what must be provided. Read the article……………………
- According to One Bankruptcy Court, the “Wrangle Over Executoriness May be a Tale ‘Full of Sound and Fury, Signifying Nothing’”After a dispute arose between a developer of a subdivision northeast of Albuquerque and a homeowners’ association (“HOA”) over the ownership of certain common areas in the subdivision, the HOA brought an action against the developer seeking to compel it to convey the disputed property Read the article…………
- CAI Best Practices: EthicsSimply put, when someone is employing ethics, he or she recognizes what is right and what is wrong and is choosing to do the right thing; however, as a great deal of business ethics literature will attest, “the right thing” is not always straightforward. For example, most ethical dilemmas in the workplace are not simply questions of “Should Bob steal from Jack?” or “Should Jack lie to his boss?”
New Mexico Laws
New Mexico Condo & HOA Resources